How did I know about my condition?
For the entire maturation period, I had a feeling that my legs look different, often hurt, and every year they seemed to be bigger.
It did not bother me till 2015 when the parts surrounding the knee began to swell violently and the pain intensified. It was a sign that I need to go to the specialist. Well, a specialist – but where? I decided to go to GP – health clinic. And I started going to the doctor’s office. For the next year, the doctors recommended to me – lose weight, that the fat collects around my knees and you have to get rid of it to change exercise, diet.
After a year of determination, during the next visit, the newly-learned doctor after a thorough and prolonged observation of my legs sat down comfortably in the chair, grabbed the printed results, murmured, threw one more look at my legs and then announced:
- Dear Mrs Martha, – with a slight break to swallow -… I do not know why someone sends you back to the USG …… The lymphatic system without charge … … it looks like Lipoedema.
- “Lipo … what?” -I asked. I looked confused.
- Lipedema, Lópodemia, Lipoedema. Disturbed fat loss. I heard about it recently at the Symposium. … And! Also known as the disease of sore fat – he added with a half-call. With a big smile which he swiftly exchanged, probably seeing my mine of a child in a subdued shape
- Disease of painful fat …… Disease of painful fat…- I sighed – Could you be more specific? What cures? how, where?
- I do not know if we have such a specialist in our city, but if you come back to Great Britain, please try to get to St. George’s Hospital – there is the first and the best clinic that deals with the Lipoedema. Hmmm and yet many doctors there in the UK (as well as here in the PL) do not know about this disease. Therefore, before you go for a referral, please look for more information on this subject, read and even print and take it with you. They can be useful.
At that time I did not know why I should research the subject of the disease to get any referral…
After an insightful visit which enriched me with knowledge about the disease which is about fat, it is painful besides. I went home with my mother (a woman who I admire for this vigour for life, exercises, poles and strong will) to research on the subject of Lipoedema.
During further searches, I was shocked by how many people and doctors did not know about the existence of this disease, which is often confused with overweight. Unfortunately, I also dug up to the information that such a chronic progressive illness can become painful, depressive, disfiguring and disabling if not treated.
Lipoedema fat is actually hardened water and toxins which usually flush out of our lymphatic system- in Lipoedema case, all the toxins and water are stored in our fat cells.
Women with lipoedema tend to be small on top and big on the bottom. The legs become enlarged from the ankles up to the hips. Both legs are usually enlarged at the same time.
There are also cases when lipoedema occurs on both arms.
With Lipoedema our legs will have:
- The tendency to easy bruising
- Sensitivity to touch
- Joint pain
- Affected skin condition
- Does not seem to respond to losing weight
- Feet (or hands) are usually not affected
I’ve already been trying for one year to get to the clinic where they can take care of me.
Yes, it is a long journey – but when we have each other, support and faith we can reach our goal.
Below this article, you will find a few websites where you can get medical information about Lipoedema-> because most GP’s don’t have any idea about this disease. You should print out the information given there before you choose to book your appointment. Trust me!!!! they are very needed.
helpful websites :